IATF 16949:2016 is a standard that establishes the requirements for a Quality Management System (QMS), specifically for the automotive sector. This also requires FMUK to define objectives and continually improve their processes in order to reach the requirements set.
The IATF 16949 standard provides guidance and tools for companies and organizations who want to ensure that their products consistently meet customer requirements, and that quality and customer satisfaction are consistently improved.
The standard is based on seven Quality Management Principles, including a strong customer focus, the motivation and implication of top management, the process approach and continual improvement.
Quality Management Principles are defined as follows:
- Customer focus
- Engagement of people
- Process approach
- Evidence-based decision making
- Relationship management
The benefits of IATF 16949 cannot be overstated; FMUK use this standard to great effect, discovering and securing tremendous cost and efficiency savings. Here are just a few of these benefits:
1) Improve your image and credibility – When customers see that you are certified by a recognized certification body, they will understand that you have implemented a system that is focused on meeting customer requirements and improvement. This improves their trust that you will deliver what you have promised.
2) Qualify to supply the automotive industry – This is one of the main drives for FMUK to retain certification against IATF 16949. In order to get big customers from the automotive industry, you have to demonstrate that you are able to provide high-quality products with no defects, and an IATF 16949 certificate will prove it.
3) Improve customer satisfaction – One of the key principles of the IATF 16949 QMS is the focus on improving customer satisfaction by identifying and meeting customer requirements and needs. By improving satisfaction, you improve repeat customer business.
4) Fully integrated processes – By using the process approach of IATF 16949, you not only look at the individual processes in your organization, but also at the interactions of those processes. By doing this, you can more easily find areas for improvement and resource savings within FMUK.
5) Use evidence-based decision making – Ensuring that you are making decisions based on good evidence is a key to the success of an IATF 16949 QMS. By ensuring that your decisions are based on good evidence, you can better target resources to the best effect to correct problems and improve FMUK’s efficiency and effectiveness.
6) Create a culture of continual improvement – With continual improvement as the main output of the QMS, you can attain ever-increasing gains in savings of time, money, and other resources. By making this the culture within FMUK, you can focus your workforce on improving the processes they are directly responsible for.
7) Engage your people – Who better than the people working within a process to help find the best solutions for improving that process? By focusing your workforce on not only managing, but also improving the processes, they will be more engaged in the outcome.